Wuh is dat on yuh teet?  

Posted by Drunk or Sober Mind yuh Bizness in

Someone triggered my thoughts on my orthodontic work that seems to be taking forever for me to get over. Lol. In 2006 I was referred to an orthodontist when my dentist realised that my wisdom tooth were impacted and suggested ways to get that fixed. I opted for braces because no way were they going to break my jaw to do surgery to get my wisdom teeth down and not allow me to eat for a week. I would waste away!

So braces it was and I went to my first appointment and took my xrays and discussed the plan and I left. I left for a whole year. Lol. Till in 2008 I ran into Dr Angus who made sure to mention loudly that I was waaay overdue to start my treatment. So in July 2007, more than a year later and heading into $15,000 debt (not including dental work and occasional dental visits). MY teeth were closer than a ... I won't say, but I had really, really close teeth. Dr. Angus was in shock and how close they were. So the inital process of putting in the spacers (blue rubber bands to widen yur back teeth space) took me longer than normal. HE had to use white ones first to make space for the blue ones. That was the worse week for me. I could not eat. I could not swallow. I could not steups. Biting down was OUT of the QUESTION. When the white ones made space for the blue ones, it was another week of drinking mashed potatoes. There was even an incident when he was trying to put in the blue ones, he turned to get a blue one and when he turned back the spce in my teeth was gone!!! Pressure.

A week later my braces were on. (After 2 visits to the dentist also to extract all four of my pre molars). The first week of initial tightening of the wires always has you a bit uncomfortable. The tension is tight. But a week later for me I was back to eating everything as usual. I was given a list of things NOT to eat. That list eventually turned into the list of things I have to take my time eating. No dumplin for 2 years? Have to be mad. So here I am before putting the ceramic grills in.

My plan was braces for two years and retainers for a year. I was to visit the orthodontist every 4 weeks (so every month) for the first two years. Me, I missed sooo mnay appointments it's crazy. The first year I made about 9 appointments. I was not progressing as quickly as I wanted, which is typlical most time with the ceramics versus the metal. Then I had some miserable teeth that didn't want to budge. Into my second year I got into school and then had to relocate. I was referred to a orthodontist here. Did I mention that my whole treatment home was going to take $15,000? That's about $2377 USD. When I had my consultation with my new Dr. for the period of March to December to finish my braces period and the year of retainers I was given a bill for $2700 USD. Huh??? How is it the same price for less time? But what could I do, not finish it? So I have been extended to Decemeber 5 months longer than previously mentioned. Should I mention that I have already missed one appointment? Argghhh.

This is me recently. Can you see any difference?

I see none in the pics but looking at my teeth and knowing how some were I see what has moved.

I have an appointment on Monday which I plan to keep and I pray he don't tell me he extending my date. I not paying him more than he told me lol. I can't wait to get to retainers so that I can eat crab in peace instead of taking 3 hours to eat it slow... :)




This entry was posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 Rambles

oh gorm .... is true teet doh grow back ... and yuh have tuh take care of dem .... but lawd .... $15,000 ....

July 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Girl, and is like I paying it twice though. But that's not bad. EVERYTHING raise...my cousin went for her consultation and she was tagged $16,000.

August 1, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Post a Comment